About Me

My photo
I am a believer in God, a mother, a daughter, a sister and friend. I am purpose driven with intentions of inspiring, provoking thought and dialogue while motivating and changing lives GLOBALLY...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

WHAT MAKES A HERO

In a few weeks I will embark on a new frontier of sorts, you see for the past 4 years I have been suffering from full renal failure, and I have been on dialysis.  Almost everyone I encounter knows someone who knows someone who is on dialysis.  Why is it becoming so common?  My guess would be the 2 top causes for kidney failure are hypertension and diabetes, therefore with so many of us being over weight, out of shape, having terrible eating habits, a lack of  medical insurance and being unable to see a doctor on the regular, along with a  lack of exercise, there are tons of folk on dialysis awaiting kidney transplants, and many who are on their way and just don't know it.
For those of who are closest to me, they always ask  me, HOW DO YOU DO WHAT YOU DO?  Raising an incredibly talented child with tons of energy, while trying to juggle career goals, and day to day obligations, it is tough.  Some who know me even consider me a hero or sorts.  I don't see myself in that light, I just see myself as a person who has tried to make the best out of a challenging situation.  A person who has no other choice BUT TO LIVE and continue to do what I need to do to stay here. 
But the more I hear the word "hero" the more it got me to thinking about what a hero means to me.  I guess when I think of the heroes in my life, my father comes to mind.  He died nearly 4 years ago but there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him and hear his voice in my head.  "Red Top"... (he would always call me)
"hang in there baby girl.  HANG IN THERE!"  And when I would ask him how he was, even when we all knew he was dying from prostate cancer, in his last days he would say....
"I'M DOING PRETTY GOOD FOR THE SHAPE I AM IN".  HERO.... Even in the face of adversity, he never gave up. and he lived his life like that until the end.
 My mother, my shero, a woman who didn't get the chance to go to college but she put ALL 4 OF HER CHILDREN THROUGH COLLEGE.  One through a masters program, one through law school.  And always growing up I never had to wonder where I came from, what stock of blood ran through my veins because I was raised proud, knowing who and what kind of a people I came from. .HERO.... Or my brother and his wife,  she a double breast cancer survivor enduring a double mastectomy, then reconstructive surgery only to go through it again 5 years later with a more aggressive cancer 2md time around,  enduring chemo, radiation, and yet..... she STOOD on her faith! In fact when I asked her how she did it she says I just put my worries on the mantle and STAND ON MY FAITH!. HERO.... My brother enduring the trauma of dealing with his beloved wife going through hell, while also dealing with a son with special needs in and out of the hospital... and yet... with the spirit of our dad.... HE STANDS AND HOLDS MY DAUGHTER DOWN as she deals with missing her father being in her life consistently.  My brother  STANDS AND HOLDS MY CHILD DOWN AND ALWAYS  MAKES  SURE SHE NEVER GOES WITHOUT. HERO!!!!..  God has afforded me the honor to know many people who I consider heroes.  In fact one of my heroes will impact my life SIGNIFICANTLY,  my dear friend Mike Green whom I have known for over a decade.  He goes and gets tested to be my kidney donor and turns out to be a match!!!
He WILL SAVE MY LIFE and end my grueling 3 times a week dialysis treatments.  HERO....
A Hero stands when many others would crumble, positive when it would be so much easier to not be, encouraging and optimistic, and able to take on another person's weight and worry while they are going through their own.  HERO.....to me THAT'S what makes a hero, and I thank God for all of them to be in my life. As always in closing....
Get life baby.... this ain't no dress rehearsal and remember you can be some body's HERO TODAY,
BECOME AN ORGAN DONOR AND SAVE A LIFE.

Total Pageviews