About Me

My photo
I am a believer in God, a mother, a daughter, a sister and friend. I am purpose driven with intentions of inspiring, provoking thought and dialogue while motivating and changing lives GLOBALLY...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What are you willing to give up?

I cannot be the only person in the world who is having a hard time with adjusting to this economy.  From the looks of the parking lots at the malls, I am starting to think I just might be.  Never have I seen more cars outside of a mall on a Tuesday of all days.  You can't turn on the television, radio or internet and not see or hear a story regarding the economy.  Folks are losing their jobs, unemployment rates are steady, and don't EVEN get me started on the housing market.  Gas is high, utility bills are high, food is high, and products and or services we once didn't blink an eye at purchasing are now in the "do I really NEED THIS" column. 
Its rough out here ladies and gentlemen.  Even those of us who have been gainfully employed and good at what we do, are now...for lack of a better terms, ASS OUT.  Out of work.
I lost my job back on June 23, 2010.  Not too big of a deal for people in my industry
(urban  commercial radio) where  you can be fired and dropped like a bad habit, even if you are good at what you do, even if you are popular, even if you are considered one of the best in the industry.  The reason behind my dismissal? that old.....going in another direction excuse and THAT DIRECTION? Just so happened once again, didn't include my black ass!  With so many of us in my industry, I had to sit out for 6 months on a
non compete clause in my contract, which meant, until Christmas Eve, I couldn't work within a 30 mile radius of where I broadcast from..Unless I wanted to pack up my kid and move to God knows where to work, I had to, NOT do what I have spent half of my adult life doing, being a radio personality. Christmas has come and gone and the new year has begun, and I am still out of work. But this time by choice.  I choose to look at my years of experience, and talent and explore the option of taking my winning brand  of Olivia Fox and going in my own, DIFFERENT DIRECTION.Unfortunately.... that different direction has not  yet afforded me the lifestyle and income I have become accustomed to over the past 10 years..Like so many others, I have had to learn to cut back  I have had to really think....what am I willing to give up?
If you are like me, faced with cutting back on your products and services, this has been a grueling adjustment.  However after you get the hang of it, you soon realize, a lot of the crap you and I have?... and alot of the crap you and I want?...YOU AND I DONT NEED!  Its funny how one of the worse things happening to you can actually make YOU a better YOU. Is this a NEED or a WANT?  If its a want? I have learned to give it up.  If it is a NEED, I budget and instead of getting  it on a whim, I give it thought first.
.Its been tough, because Olivia doesnt do the...  (HOLD UP..... DID.I JUST SPEAK IN 3RD PERSON?) I hate  it when people do that,  it is so EXTRA to me, you have CLEARLY LOST IT WHEN YOU ARE SPEAKING OF YOURSELF IN 3RD PERSON! LET ME COME BACK DOWN TO EARTH.. sorry I tripped for a minute...I say ALL THIS TO SAY.... rather you are feeling the pinch of this economy or not, rather you are making 6 figures or better or apart of the working poor living check to check... we can all  stand to ask ourselves?  DO I REALLY NEED THESE THINGS?  I had to ask myself, do I really need a facial once a month?, my nails done every 2 weeks?  My hair DID every 2 weeks WAIT ..HOLD UP AGAIN..I AM LYING... even when I was working and getting money, I didnt see my hairdresser but every 6 to 8 weeks. I was good for slapping on a wig or jelling back my nappy edges with the good pre con gel
(if you aren't black you are not going to have any idea what Im talking about, but just ask one of your black girlfriends what pre con is, you will be shocked at her facial expression when you ask her)LOL.... I had to ask myself do I really need a new car when the one Im driving is paid for? Do I really need
ANOTHER LIPSTICK FROM MAC? 
But dont get it twisted folks, there is one thing I am not willing to give up and that is... my BIKINI WAX...
I dont care if I have to go up in spa with PENNY ROLLS....
IM GONE GET MY BRAZILLIAN WAX, shooooooot.... a girl has to have one vice(smile)
OK....WRAP..... IT...... UP..... in closing, just know, you are not alone, this economy is rough and its making everything including the edges of my hair rough as well, but you will find just as I have, that some of those things you have had to give up....needed to be given u.  And when I get back up on my feet with the streams of revenue generating on the level it once did, I will be happy that this temporary time of financial adjustment has taught me several  lessons, one being the most important, the differences between wants and needs. And I now know, what I am capable of giving up and by learning that ,I have also learned many of those things,
I didn't really NEED anyway.
As always I ask you,  what good is money and success? if your hair is a hot dam mess!
Get life People!!.... this ain't no dress rehearsal.

Total Pageviews